Monthly Meeting | Special Event
PepperKnoll Farm Garden Tour and Container Contest
11:00 am - 1:00 pm Event Details
Join us for a tour of a new member’s gardens in August! Our container contest will be held at this meeting. Everyone is welcome to enter. See the categories below.
Here is their description:
PepperKnoll Farm was established November 1994. The property was bought mainly as a private residence with the potential to be a backyard horse property. Any existing plantings were pretty much like the general ones you would see around Pepperell and other communities. The former owners of the property operated a small local garden center on an adjacent property. Both properties are located in the historic district. The home at the front of the property is on the historic register. It’s the Hannah Lawrence house built circa 1840.
The PepperKnoll Farm home was built in 1987 on what was formerly an apple orchard. Several significant apple trees still remain. The previous owners who built the home planted the typical yews, rhododendrons, azaleas, Rose of Sharon, and other fairly common plants and herbs around the grounds. Over the years, we focused on replacing some of the existing plantings which either were devoured by deer, were too high on the maintenance list and/or, for whatever reason, just didn’t prove to be in keeping with my vision for the property.
Over the last 10 plus years we have focused on developing the beds into strolling gardens comprised of conifers, dwarf conifers, heaths, heathers, junipers, ground covers, succulents, Japanese maples, hostas, dogwoods, various hydrangeas, heucheras, grasses, and other assorted perennial shrubs and plants. I guess one could say that my style is a bit eclectic in that it really doesn’t follow any particular school or style of gardens. Much of the property was a blank slate. We often rode our horses around the perimeter and through the back woods where we had established some short trails. I am a very intuitive creature, and an observer of nature and the elements around me. I focus on what works and what doesn’t. My belief is to not fight Mother Nature, but to let her guide us in supplementing and complimenting what is here, what works, and what this particular location allows to put down roots, grow, and shower us with happy plantings.
The gardens at PepperKnoll Farm are a twelve-month joy. Something is always blooming, changing, or adjusting to the elements. There is always something of interest … or just a peaceful place to ponder. The gardens emit a peaceful sanctuary appeal on the hottest day in the summer to the coldest day in winter. We are blessed to live here and be the owners, visionaries and stewards of this beautiful place that we call home. My only regret is not starting years ago. Having just retired last year, hopefully we will have many more wonderful years ahead to make it even better!
We will follow these rules due to Covid-19:
- Member participation is optional — if you are not comfortable participating, we understand and hope to see you later this year.
- Masks must be worn at all times when near others — if you need a break from your mask, be sure to distance yourself away from others
- Maintain at least 6′ of distance from others not residing in your household
- Gardeners Exchange is not coordinating any carpools for this event — members are welcome to arrange to a carpool on their own
Location will be sent in August member email.
The container contest will be held at this event. Everyone is welcome to enter.
- Anything Goes – This is our general entry category. Enter your most creative and visually appealing potted planter of perennials or annuals.
- Small – This is a separate category for compact, short, miniature, or small-sized containers. You define small, but make it an interesting, creative and visually attractive potted display.
- Overall Grand Prize: Awarded to the entry that receives the most votes from either category.
- Best in Class Anything Goes: Awarded to the entry in this class that receives the most votes (after the grand prize).
- Best in Class Small: Awarded to the entry in this class that receives the most votes (after the grand prize).
This is a members only event. Not a member? Want to join? Learn more at https://gardeners-exchange.org/info/
Fall Color For Your Garden Guided Tour at Tower Hill Botanical Garden
10:30 am - 12:30 pm Event Details
Tower Hill Botanic Garden, West Boylston MA
This year’s Tower Hill tour is in late September to give us a different view of the gardens after our March, August and October tours in recent years.
Bring your membership card to show on the way in.
This is a members only event.
Potluck Supper and Planning for 2021
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Event Details
Center Town Hall, Shirley MA
Enjoy socializing with fellow members, sharing potluck dishes and brainstorming our 2021 season together at the Center Town Hall in Shirley.
Note that this is on a Sunday!
This is a members only event.